Quilt Retreat For One

Fortune Cookie Roulette #35

    For the 10th Anniversary of my nephew's fundraiser for ALS,  I wanted to build a quilt around the number 10.  I spent many a night, pencil (and mouse) in hand, sketching what came to mind.  I had quite a few ideas that I liked, but I couldn't make a decision (I'll remember this the next time I am feeling somewhat less than creative).  So I turned to my collection of fortune cookies.

Make big plans.

    That did it.  I knew that I wanted the quilt to be bigger than I normally make, which is typically a 55" square. I wanted to do central motif,  a medallion,  a single symbol,  to represent the tenth year of the event, so I thought, why not a ten-pointed star?

10 star word

    Have you ever tried Microsoft Word to draft your patterns?  You should and if not that, try Pages for Mac.  The Shapes tool in both programs drafts stars with lots of points - enormously helpful.  What you see above is a picture of a set of fabrics that I 'cut' in Word and then arranged into in a star.  Guess this is the poor man's version of Adobe Illustrator.

    So the other day, while it was 82 degrees in my work space, I stitched  32" 10 pointed star.  I won a jelly roll of Michael Miller fabrics a while back and felt that this was the perfect time to experiment. I'm not sure that this is the color choice I'm going with, but with the August sun blazing, there was no sense in fighting it.  I think I might be going for a star, so I might go blue.


     This is what I did.  I sewed 2 sets of 9 2.5" strips.  Using the template I made in Word, I cut each diamond blade.  At the blade's widest point, it is 5 inches plus seam allowance.  Out of one jelly roll strip set, you will only get 7 blades, hence the arrangement above, where I had to use both sets to get a complete star.  I love how if you stare at it long enough, the secondary five pointed star comes through.

    Using the seven blade set, you can get an idea as to where you star is headed, but I think you really need all 10 blades to make a decision.


    I came up with 13 different combinations - a fascinating process.  It is a great way to experiment with value, hue and saturation.

    I'm paying more attention to my instincts lately.  When I came across this tomato with its secondary star fish pattern, I knew I was on the right path.



Take care and keep cool,